Produced in Washington, DC, A Teachable Moment focuses on four local survivors that represent the greater story of stroke in the United States. LAI Video also speaks with loved ones and medical experts to clearly describe the disease, its debilitating impact and the tangible steps anyone can take to reduce the risk of a stroke. The documentary uses contemporary animation to better illustrate the science behind stroke, available treatments and preventable risk factors.
The film premiered in Washington, DC, on May 17, and is available to groups interested in hosting a private screening.
Here is the trailer:
- Some key things really stood out for me:
- Getting help fast was critical to Anne’s recovery.
- Anne had personal and specific goals that helped in her recovery.
- Her employer, Troutman Sanders, provided amazing support.
- Lawyers Have Heart sounds like a great organization.
- Anne’s sense of humor probably helped her quite a bit.
Lawyers Have Heart is a 10K race, 5K run and fun walk that takes place on June 9, 2018, in Georgetown. The fundraiser is affiliated with the DC-area chapter of the American Heart Association.
Anne offered 3 critical pieces of advice as we wrapped up:
- Lead a healthy lifestyle.
- When stroke happens, get help quickly.
- Surround yourself with great people.
Here are the various links we talked about:
|Anne Dailey on Twitter||http://twitter.com/akmitc|
|A Teachable Moment||http://ateachablemoment.film|
|Lawyers Have Heart||http://lawyershaveheartdc.org/|
|Lawyers Have Heart Merch||https://represent.com/store/lhh10kb|
|American Heart Association DC||http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Affiliate/Arlington/Virginia/Home_UCM_MAA013_AffiliatePage.jsp|
|StrokeSmart A Teachable Moment article||http://www.strokesmart.org/stroke-documentary|
|A Teachable Moment Screening Request||https://www.ateachablemoment.film/host-a-screening/|
Hack of the Week
If you have medical gear that you’re supposed to clean with rubbing alcohol, get a spray bottle for it.
Pouring from the bottle is tough enough with two hands. With one, the spill risk goes up dramatically. A spray bottle (affiliate link) helps prevent unfortunate spills. Just make sure you label the bottle.
Where do we go from here?
- Check out the website for A Teachable Moment.
- What are your thoughts on Anne’s story? Share them below.
- Have you tried the Strokecast Alexa skill? If you have an Echo device, go up to it and say, “Alexa, enable Strokecast.”
- Don’t get best…get better.