The Holiday season can be awesome. Or it can be stressful. Or it can be both. This week, I have 10 Holiday Tips for Stroke Survivors
- Ship luggage on ahead
- Request wheelchair assistance at the airport
- Travel with prescriptions in their original bottle — especially if you’re travelling internationally.
- Mise en place — prep everything in advance and have everything in its place
- Use adaptive gear like one-handed can openers and under the counter jar openers
- Use paper based checklists for complex items and procedures
Friends, Family, and Social Tips
- Be careful with alcohol — drinking can make stroke deficits more prominent
- Communicate your limits
- Use gift wrapping services from Amazon or other retailers when you do your shopping
Finally, the big tip is:
- Know your own limits. When fatigue hits, take a nap. When a crowd gets overwhelming, step away to a quiet place. Be good to yourself so you can enjoy the season.
And, of course, don’t get best…get better.